Saturday 9 April 2011

Me, Myself and Nobody Else: Part 3 The Golden Era

AContinuing on what I have ranting before, I pretty much learn that to progress forward, I would have to change my thinking from inward to outward. How much you are in touch with reality of your life will be the deciding factor on your success and failure. Reality constantly changes and so must you. As Robert Greene put it, to get out of 'Tactical Hell' and achieve 'Strategic Heaven'.

After ASU2 turnaround, there was to be 6 successive boiler overhaul work for Certification of Fitness (CF) renewal. Basically we have to open up 6 boilers  for DOSH officials to come and inspect them. Finally I took the initiative and ask from Mr Safian to lead all 6 of the overhaul work. I think back then he was under pressure from what has happen during ASU2 so I feel I could lighten up his load a little bit. Indeed with the support of my lead tech Mr. Najib Nor and the rest of the crew, we manage to make it a success completing all the overhaul works in scheduled time with some 1-2 days ahead. Did we get any recognition? Sadly no.

But whats more valuable to me that I gain Mr. Safian confidence which really meant a lot to me. It was a time where I felt like 'in the zone'. Then I was given the task of handling another turnaround, ASU1. This time, I took careful precaution and learn from lesson past. Planning was done more diligently and before the turnaround kicked-off, I arrange for meeting coordination between contractor side and our own internal supervisor. The result was a much smoother turnaround and less issues. I felt that time was my personal moment of glory. Never felt that good for some while. Now did finally management recognize my contribution? Again, no. I was a fly in the radar.

Then I did something different. I did a ONE YEAR PLAN!!!!(Gasp!) Wow...now thats a new concept. Just kidding. At the start of a new financial year, I took the time to study my KPI in my Individual Performance Contract. Our KPIs were divided into several sub-groups focusing of different aspect of the business such as Safety, Plant Performance, Finance and something call Triple Plus. My strategy was, since each elements has its own specific targets, first I have to engineered that I meet all or most of the stretch target. Then secondly, I have to have an extra initiative for each element for example for Safety, I organize the CUF HSE Contractor Day which wasn't in the KPI. By doing this and meeting all the targets in HSE KPI, I manage to get excellence performance in that element. And the same principal applies to all of the other elements as well. But still this wasn't enough. The next ingredient is GOOD PUBLICITY.

Throughout my career, I have learned that the ability to sell your work will do wonders for your career. Indeed I have seen many good and talented employees go to waste just because they are unnoticed. In my opinion, to do justice to your hard work, you have to create a sort of personal branding. Something to distinguish you from he crowd. I observed many progress with skill of presentation alone. Public speaking is an ability worth cultivating. For an introvert person like myself, this can be very challenging to accept.

So now how do I achieve publicity? It so happen at that time, the management fad was all this Kaizen and Continous Improvement. And also there is this company fixation on 5S. This is a Mechanical Store in our workshop where we put our tools and equipment and it has been a mess since day one. There were lots of efforts to clean it up but it always end up the way it was. So again I took the initiative and with my crew manage to turn it into nice clean store with using the 5S principle. Not only that, we were able to maintain it organize until the store was demolished for workshop renovation.

During one of the GM visits to the Maintenance Department, I took the opportunity inviting him to see our 5S store and he was really impressed. I got a thank you card from him and the crew got an appreciation dinner. And I got what I wanted; positive publicity.

At the year end came our yearly appraisal. By this time I got all the necessary key component to sell myself. Its up to Mr Safian to promote in front of management. Before he went to the board room, we even discuss what strategy to use and what things to highlight about myself in front of the management. I don't know what went on after that but it must have been pretty good and Mr Safian was excellent in giving convincing justification on my behalf. So I finally get the excellent final rating 2.

To be continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment