Saturday 9 April 2011

Me, Myself and Nobody Else: Part 2 The Age of Discovery

So now you get a glimpse on how I started my career which is not too exemplifying. I am still sort of searching for a 'purpose'. People kept viewing me as problematic.  I remember one time that one the the seniors there then out of the blue pulled me into a 'talk' just to say that management highly regard my junior (lets call him Mr SMK for ease of reference) and there are looking down on me. He even suggested that I "talk to SMK and share some idea". What bollocks! After what happen recently, I am laughing my socks off remembering this.

So the current situation at that time, I was unhappy, I was being upstaged by my junior who seem to be the poster boy of the section and management view you as drift wood. As laid back as I was, I do realize the need to rise up and fight back to change the perception of others. I guess one of my endearing strength is the fighting spirit in me.

Now by this time I have gotten married and my wife settle in with me in Kerteh. That does change a bit of the situation and does improve my sense of purpose. By now I have picked up a new habit: reading self help books. One of the first books I read was The 360 Leader by John C. Maxwell. Its an O.K. book for a beginner with its content you can directly apply it(which I did) and did experience some improvements in my career. The other book I started reading is The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. Also very useful as a guide in an hostile environment.

So I have my work cut out for me. I have to cover lots of ground and make out for lost time.
Now if you are in a dire situation, you cannot help but feel helpless. To get out of this predicament, you would change your perception of your surrounding. Accept that God has put you there because He knows that you have the capability to get yourself out of it. Sabar, Redha dan Berfikiran Terbuka. Patience, Acceptableness and Open-mindedness(PAO). Those I would say the key ingredients to turn your life around. Complaining is useless and utterly wasteful. Unless it is directed at the source of your trouble then that's fine to the point that it start being ineffective. I do complain sometimes to blow off some steams but I try to not let it be in my mind for too long and get back to my feet as quickly as I can. You cannot progress by being angry as it will often cloud your judgement and makes you more reactive rather than responsive.

Now the opportunity for me to redeem myself came during ASU2 Turnaround. I was in charged of the minor repair work while SMK was headlining all the major vessel overhaul. Now I would think back then was that for this guy, if he had pull this off, he would have a very successful career in CUF with the attention and good publicity he achieved in the short period of time.It is just common sense really. But what happen was the Turnaround was plague by mis-coordination, mis-communication and whole of other mis- except for Miss Universe. The whole atmosphere was tensed. People are frustrated. And there were lots of 'taking for granted' scenario.

SMK also try to put some blame on me partly of the case of the 10in flange which went missing last February. You cannot begin to imagine the anger and hatred that I felt. Luckily I came to my senses and make the best of the situation. During this time I learn to be independent and carry some of the task on my own with minimal supervision. It felt good to build up that confidence level.

After the Turnaround, I did mentioned to Mechanical Rotating section that I wanted to join them in hopes that I could start a new leaf. As it happen, Saifful also desire to get away from Mechanical Static section. An act of cowardice?hmm...but in the end both of us were destined to stay together for years to come.

To be continue......

No comments:

Post a Comment