Saturday 9 April 2011

Me, Myself and Nobody Else: Part 1 The Beginning

Hello and welcome. My name is Mohd Tarmizi Mohd Ali. Most people call me Mizi. I am a father of 2 exquisite and intresting children. I am happily married for about 6 adventurous years (wow!).

I work as an engineer in the Oil and Gas industry. But I rather see myself as an executive with technical understanding capabilities. Graduated in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Manchester(Glory!Glory!). Started straightaway working with Petronas after my graduation.

I remember that my assignment that they put me working in KLCC on one of their projects department. It was called Technical Facilities Development Division (TFDD). It is a project arm for Petronas Gas Berhad.  My tenure there is short and most of the time spending on their orientation program traveling the whole West Malaysia familiarizing with all of PGB facilities. I have to admit, at first I was not that really interested or excited seeing all the plants and machinery equipment as  the rest of my colleagues. I did not see where my future is heading and I really dont know what to make of it now. So I took the 'go-with-the -flow' attitude.
Early on I have some issues with Petronas or rather PGB as they could improve in handling my formulative years better. I have to deal with some anger and confusion. Welcome to Bureaucracy 101! Little did I know all those issues would be peanuts with what I will be facing in my later years.

I then request for transfer from KLCC to Kerteh. At that time this seems to be a 'good' idea. I really do not have the long-term perception back then to make the best out of things instead of reacting to the situation. But all things considered it was not all that bad.

And so, my second assignment was at Centralized Utilities Facilities (CUF) for Kerteh complex. It is a plant that supplied all the utilities  such as electricity, steam, industrial gas (nitrogen, oxygen and argon) to most of the neighboring plant in the whole Kerteh area. I was to be assign to the Maintenance Department under Mechnical Static section. This is where I met my mentor Mr. Safian Puteh.

At first, I have to admit we didn't get off to a good start. I am still much blurry of what is my purpose of existence of being here. And I tend to be reluctant to go into plant i.e 'masuk plant'. Compare to other newcomers, I would seem lack of initiatives. To make matters worse, as years goes by, when the juniors came in, thats when it is frustrating when you are being compare that you are less competent than someone younger than you. Put it short, I was not golden boy material.

To be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment